The EU

Google says the EU requires a notice of cookie use (by Google) and says they have posted a notice. I don't see it. If cookies bother you, go elsewhere. If the EU bothers you, emigrate. If you live outside the EU, don't go there.

Sunday, August 31, 2014

No, She Didn't Say That


For John, BLUFWhen something gets associated with you, it can be hard to shake.  Nothing to see here; just move along.



Trying to strike a lighter tone with one of my "Progressive" friends, I said that I thought it was unfortunate that in 2008 there were the choices there were.

His response was that the Republican Vice President (Sarah Palin) was unacceptable under any circumstances, and then mentioned the apocryphal Palin line, "I can see Russia from my house".  Even that progressive web site Snopes admits that it was never uttered by Ms Palin.

OK, so Governor Palin did say to Charlie Gibson "They're our next-door neighbors, and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska".

By Dave Cohoe (Photo by Dave Cohoe) [GFDL or CC-BY-3.0], via Wikimedia Commons

Little Diomede Island on the left (Alaska, USA) and Big Diomede Island (Russia) on the right, looking Southward.  About three and a half miles apart.

The ever charming and funny Tina Fey is the one who, while playing the part of Governor Palin in a SNL sketch, said "And I can see Russia from my house."

But, what really makes this a joke is Electing Senator Joe Biden as Vice President.  Really?

UPDATE:  I notice I had left out a footnote indicator, but not the footnote.  Fixed.

Regards  —  Cliff

  Actually, a Democrat due to what he sees as a lack of Republicans he likes.
  I loved her in the movie Admission, where she was Ms Portia Nathan.  On the other hand, maybe I just liked the alternative high school.  No, I liked Ms Fey also.
  I would like to put in a plug for my view that the Vice President does not work for the President, but is an independent person, with an actual, albeit often scoffed at, job as President of the Senate.  And, we shouldn't want the Vice President so close to the President that if the US Congress moves to Impeach and Convict the President of High Crimes and Misdemeanors it has to take down the Vice President at the same time.  Remember Vice President Spiro T Agnew?  The "Deep State" had to make him go away before it felt free to go after President Nixon.  Or so it appears.

4 comments:

Renee said...

Consider how few of us actually read the news, but only see manipulated tidbits in our social media feeds...

Neal said...

Why read the news? It is largely faceless, voiceless information management by special interests.

Raising Sunshine said...

You can see Canada from Alaska too, but funny nobody ever mentions the obvious.

Anonymous said...

Having read this I believed it was extremely informative.
I appreciate you finding the time and energy to put this article together.
I once again find myself spending way too much time
both reading and commenting. But so what, it was still
worth it!